Tuesday, March 04, 2008

What is this white FLUFFY stuff...?!

You know, snow in our part of Texas is generally either slushy or icy. It's so wet it won't stick or it's like a snow cone and just makes a hard mound. So, what was this stuff we woke up to this morning?!? It fluttered. It floated. It fleetly fleed, it flew... (sorry, song burst forth...) The kids got to go to school late, so of course they were up hooping and hollaring well before they ever get dragged out of bed on a regular school morning. And I was SO looking forward to a bit of a sleep-in. Heavens no! I had to get the camera out. I'm not sure if the kids enjoyed it more or if Heidi was having the most fun.











When it first started coming down (the floating stuff, not the sleet that we got first) last night, Heidi tentatively stepped out on the back porch. Things kept touching her head and back. She was very confused. The last time we'd had anything like this was the day we brought her home last February. She wasn't so sure about being outside last night. But, this morning was a totally different story.







Heidi was like a jack rabbit hopping all over the backyard. Actually, I think maybe she looked a bit more like a deer. There was a gracefulness to the hops.

The kids tried to build a snowman, but someone was always counteracting the progress with a snowball in the head or face or something. They were completely wet and white when I finally got them in the door for more breakfast than they probably eat in a week. I even let them have hot chocolate on a school morning.















Ok, this one's a bit jack-rabbity.
























A winter wonderland: The birdhouse Pawpaw built, the day lilies peaking through the snow, the untouched front yard, the red leaf maple blooms on our new tree and my favorite - the bradford pear blooms. I worried how the snow would affect all this pre-spring blooming, but by the afternoon everything looked just as before.




So, yesterday, in the freezing rain, I was planting a few more violas on my front porch. Here you can see the violas (winter) mixed with geraniums (summer) and some other little white flower that I really like but have no idea what it's called - I'm sure it's a summer thing, too, since that's when I planted it last year. Everything is perfectly happy together on our porch.

This new little viola got a bit of snow.

Now, here's a picture of a REAL Texas snowman. The kids scraped together every bit of snow/ice they could find on the north side of the house where it hadn't melted yet. This was the snowcone consistency "snow". They packed this little snow guy together and held their breath until I got a picture of it. Notice the viola petal buttons on the little man.

2 comments:

Grandpa said...

I think I prefer Tuesday's weather - sunny with no wind and warm enough to work without a coat!

Jennifer said...

First ... I love the new header! And I love the pictures of Heidi - especially the true jackrabbit one! Too funny.