It's difficult to know exactly where to begin on this story, so I'll start by giving a 4 point overview of the last week of June:
1-Monday - we put our house on the market
2-Tuesday - we signed the papers to begin building our new house (more bathrooms...)
3-Wednesday - we had our first two showings and an offer from the first showing
4-Thursday - we found out our buyers aren't in a hurry to move down here from Illinois and they'll rent our house back to us until our new house is finished in February
Sound like a dream world? Feels like a dream world! Actually, it's just been "remarkably easy".
On Sunday, we met with our sales person to talk about building a house. Before we drove over to the sales office, we went by the lot we wanted and prayed. Then we went by the spec home of the plan we're building and walked through it one more time and stood in the family room and prayed. Dad specifically prayed that God would make this whole selling/buying process either "remarkably easy" or "remarkably difficult" so we would know that we had reached the perfect timing for this big decision. "Remarkably Easy"...
1-We have talked about finding a bigger house (2 more bathrooms, a game room and a 3rd car garage) for over a year now. We had slated "late spring" as our projected time to list the house and try to sell. Just thinking about the whole process of having a house on the market pretty much freaked me out. I was SO dreading the stress of being so particular about how everything looked for showing because I share a house with 5 people whose particularities aren't particularly particular in that area. Needless to say, we've been practicing for several months to try to get into the hang of natural neatness. It wasn't miraculous, but I do think the practice has paid off. The particularity of other family members has gone up at least a notch or two.
Now, here's the important part. Knowing at least a year ago of the impending "manic mom" that would take over our house, I began praying for the people who would come to buy our house. I told God I knew His timing would be perfect and He would send the perfect people at the perfect time. I also asked Him to please send them quickly. Patience is always something I can work on, but please help me learn some patience lessons in some other area besides the showing of the house for sale. I kind of think that a lesson in patience has come in the waiting of the actual listing. I was beginning to think we were never going to get it on the market. The "punch list" never did get completely finished, but the sign went up anyway.
2-We've been looking for a potential house to move to for at least the last year, if not longer. We were torn with wanting to stay in our current school zoning and being open to change schools for the kids. Again, I prayed for God to help me be open to changing schools if needed, but I really hoped that we could remain in the same zoning. Of course, staying in the same zoning meant a VERY small window of places to look for a house. We mainly wanted two more bathrooms, a game room for the kids to gather, a 3rd car garage for Dad's growing workshop collection and hopefully a little bigger yard for Heidi to run around. Before we really even started looking over a year ago, I actually found a perfect house plan in a brand new neighborhood directly across from our elementary school. We kept coming back to that house and comparing it to the existing homes we looked at. Nothing else really compared. Our only problem - they ended up taking the plan out of the neighborhood in May because they couldn't sell the two spec homes they had on the ground. We stayed in touch with the sales office and kept checking with them to see if they were adding any other 5 bedroom plans that we liked. I was so disappointed, but I thought that if God was telling us that this wasn't it then He was speaking pretty clearly by taking that plan away from us. However, while we were on vacation in early June, we got a call that not only were they going to bring that plan back for us to build, they would do it on a contingency for the sale of our current house.
So, we signed all the papers to start building our house on Tuesday. When the sales guy printed up the numbers after we added a few changes to the already extensive list of included upgrades, the bottom line was actually LESS than it had been when we had met on Sunday. We got to drive out to the lot and meet our construction superintendent and ask him a few questions about the grade, drainage and retaining wall before we signed everything. (by the way, he's an Aggie... how perfect) He gave us every answer we were hoping for and more. While we were back in the office actually signing the massive multitude of papers to get this going, we received a phone call for our first showing the following afternoon. We just looked at each other - "remarkably easy". I shed a few tears during the 3 hours we spent getting our new build in order. "Remarkably easy" tears...
3-Geared up for our first showing on Wednesday afternoon, I had the whole day planned out. Did I mention it was VBS week? Aunt Cynthia and her husband were coming to spend the day with us, so I had planned some last minute cleaning - especially floors - for that afternoon before we left the house. HOWEVER, just before leaving the house to take the kids to the church, I got another phone call. Another showing at 11am. I was ecstatic. And panicked!! The kids had done a good job, but I had a whole afternoon of plans that I needed to cram into an hour and a half. Did I mention the touch-up paint blooper from the night before? Dad had gone to Home Depot ONE more time with a huge chunk of the purple paint wall (NEVER found that can of paint in the garage) so he could get it color matched and we could touch up paint in the last room. Well, after about 25 little spots had been touched up, Bit says "Daddy, I don't think that's the same color..." Sure enough - blue spots all over the purple wall... I spent 30 minutes at Home Depot that morning trying to get the paint fixed, but the machine just wouldn't cooperate. I left without paint and only about 45 minutes to do what I had planned to do in 3 hours. As crazy as I had been for the last hour or so, as I walked out of the house 10 minutes before the showing window I had a strange feeling of calm. I prayed once again for the people who would come and asked God for these to be the people I had prayed for. Please let them walk in and know that this would be their house. The way I felt the first time I walked into the house like we're building. Sounds crazy, but it "spoke" to me. I know - crazy.
So, we got home from VBS and spent the afternoon visiting with Aunt Cynthia and everyone helped me do the floors again before we left again for the other showing that day. We met up with Dad and took everyone to dinner and while we were eating, we got another phone call. Someone wanted to see the house after the current showing was finished with their time. Then they said something about this being a "2nd showing". A 2nd showing? Did that mean that someone was coming to see it again? Isn't that good? "Remarkably easy..." They made an offer that evening. More tears. I stayed up late looking at rental information online. If this went through we were going to need to find a place to live until February when our house was finished!
4-Our realtor was coming over Thursday afternoon with papers for us to sign on the offer. She walked in and said she had great news. I said, "You found us a place to rent!?" She said she did. I said, "Oh, where!?" She said, how does this house sound. I was frozen for a moment - oh, no! Had the offer fallen through? She said the couple is retired and we thought they were wanting to close quickly so they could move, but they were just wanting to get it all taken care of so they could have it finished. They live in Illinois, but they aren't planning to move down here for another year and they were going to rent it out in the mean time. They said we could stay as long as we needed and pay them rent until our house is finished. "Remarkably easy..." I have tears even as I type this story that I told many times over the past weeks. "Remarkably easy..."
No, God is not teaching me patience in the listing and showing of our house. Although, I do think he gave me some lessons in patience as we waited for the right time to list it. I think God is teaching me gratitude. My thoughts immediately went to Sarah and Abraham. When God told Sarah she would have a baby in her old age, she laughed. It doesn't say the word "unbelievable" in the scripture, but that's the general idea that went through her mind as she laughed. Yet, how can she think "unbelievable" when she had prayed for a child for so long? If she prayed believing that she would have a child, how can she tell God it's "unbelievable"?
That's what I found myself thinking - "unbelievable" - as I laugh at the whole week of "remarkably easy" events. Yet, how can I really find it "unbelievable"? I prayed for this to happen! Didn't I believe that God could answer those prayers as I prayed them?
God knew exactly when our sign would go up. God knew exactly when this couple would be planning a short trip to Texas to look for their place to retire. They looked at 30 houses in two days. God knew exactly when they would come even though I only found out two hours before they came. God knew that they would want to find renters. God knew we would be building a house and we would need to rent a place.
Now, the story doesn't stop there. As it happened, on the day of our closing in mid-July, while we were AT the title company office waiting to sign, the buyers' lender informed us that they were actually missing a document for the loan that the buyer's son wouldn't sign for them (rental property they owned together), so they had to cancel the contract. (The buyers weren't there, but they had already signed everything up in Illinois and sent it down. They weren't happy at this turn of events...)
And yet, in the midst of this HUGE disappointment, I never felt panicked or even hugely disappointed. I felt calm. I knew things would work out, even though we went back to "manic mom" for a bit after that. (Dad wasn't as calm, but that's being a guy, I think.)
And so, we were back on the market. And it took twice as long this time... :-) SO, story #2 should be ready to publish the first week of school. We'll see how this one pans out. It doesn't look as easy for US this time, but I like where it's taking us.
Thursday, August 07, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)

3 comments:
You are CRUEL, CRUEL, CRUEL, Amy Duke...oops, Samuel! At least tell us the part of #2 that has already happened!!!!!!!! ~Sabrina
Wow, you really threw a curve with the ending of this chapter. I'm just glad that it isn't the end of the book.
Ok, I am waiting impatiently for the "rest of the story"!!
Post a Comment