Wednesday, October 22, 2008

"I told you it hurt!"

Once, you kind of grimace and chalk it up to not being a nursing major in college.

Twice, you start wondering if the delay in reading the x-rays is because they're calling someone to come and "talk to you"...

We had lived in a 2-story house all of 2 weeks when Bear tripped on the "little" steps in the gameroom and broke her little toe before church last Sunday. She said we had too many stairs... The swelling and blue and purple colors told us it was probably hurt pretty bad. (I don't have any pictures of her toe! Does that make me an even worse mom, or what?!)

And as we were leaving the emergency clinic she said "I told you it hurt!"

So, when Little Girl fell off a friend's scooter Friday night, we thought, "Oh, no! Not again!" With no swelling or discoloration, we decided it was probably sprained. She complained about it off and on through the evening. Mawmaw and Pawpaw were coming to watch her play soccer the next day and since it was still hurting, she found Little Buddy's left hand brace (from his sprained thumb three weeks ago) and put it on her right wrist. She said it made it feel better and I kind of thought some extra protection during the game wouldn't hurt.
She was a little maniac on the field. We thought maybe she'd better wear that brace again next week, because she scored 4 goals and was a little firecracker. Her team is really coming together and they worked so good together this weekend.

So, when it was still hurting her after the game, I thought I'd better take her to have it looked at. And yes, the thought did cross my mind that being at the emergency clinic two weekends in a row was probably not a good thing. Luckily it was a different team of doctors and nurses there the 2nd time...

I think the doctor was as surprised as I was to look at Little Girl in her soccer gear and find that her wrist was actually broken. She said Little Girl was a "tough cookie". Kind of comes with the territory of being the youngest of 4 and Little Buddy's little sister...

She was so excited about her hot pink cast that will match her soccer uniform.

She's a sweetheart, but she can hold her own on the soccer field - broken wrist and all!

She did say on our way out of the emergency clinic last Saturday "I told you it hurt!"

1 comment:

Grandpa said...

Can you imagine what it might have been like in our great grandparent's time with 6 or 8 kids in the house! But then they didn't play soccer and climb stairs. Only rode horses and climbed trees.