Sunday, September 10, 2006

Handyman Honey

As much as we've searched on occasion for new bedroom furniture, we finally at least bought a new mattress this summer. We were SO close to getting a whole room full of new furniture, but at the last minute Dad promised he'd build the headboard I'd been keeping a picture of for a long time. It came from one of those home improvement magazines or maybe a Southern Living, but it was tucked way away at the bottom of my "good idea" file and pulled out every so often as a reminder that I liked the idea. So, now we're at the end of summer and after at least a dozen trips to ALL the local Home Depots and Lowes, we finally found and bought the materials for the project. I say "we" - I just got to take the picture out for the occasional neighbor who happened over to take a look at what was going on in the garage. (They know something's going on because we ALWAYS park our cars in the garage and they've been out in the driveway for a week!)

So, with the help of our next door neighbor (he had the miter saw and crown moulding experience . . .) the headboard is finally a reality! Here are some highlights:



Superman "super"vises the beginning construction of the headboard from doors and a variety of wood trims. We spent a lot of time trying to decide on what kind of doors we wanted to use. We contemplated using something "old" but never could find anything that would work. We finally found that using hinged closet doors (hinges off, of course) would work and actually create the perfect horizontal dimension without having to trim anything off the edges.


Johnny came over to help, loan tools and give advice on working with the moulding. He had just finished some trim work at his house, so he had some idea of how to figure out the angles on the corners.


Dad was concerned about the stain at first, but as he got more coats on and began the top coat he began to feel better about the color choice. And we have PLENTY of stain left over for the unfinished furniture pieces we need to go looking for now (oh, joy!). Since the bed is so high and the headboard is really tall, we need some large nightstands and an oversized chest to finish filling out the room. We are SO SLOW at finding and deciding on what we want!
I tried getting a close up of the headboard on here, but every time I uploaded it, it showed up sideways! No idea!

(Ignore the mismatched lamps, night tables and navy table cover!)

We almost have the kids "trained" enough to feel brave enough to get out the beautiful crocheted bedspread Mawmaw made for us. In the mean time, we found something we both could agree on to serve its purpose as a comforter. Not what we had in mind, but it works for now. Soon the crocheted heirloom will come out of its safe box in the closet!

Well, now Dad feels like he can take on the whole house - crown moulding everywhere! Of course, that would mean another few trips back to Home Depot because there are LOTS of great tools he needs to buy!
Sounds like a good excuse for power tools to me!?! :-)

6 comments:

onemotherslove said...

No home project is ever complete without at least 10 trips to Home Depot or Lowes! One time, I just stayed at Home Depot & waited for DH to call me on the cell phone FROM UNDER THE HOUSE while he was working on a plumbing job!

joyfuljourney said...

Oh, I need to make one of those!

It's great getting a glimpse inside your house, since I'll probably NEVER make it to McKinney again! Post more pics!!!!

joyfuljourney said...

Also, I LOVE K's costume! I think D has the same one! Aren't 7 year old boys funny? All 3 guys in my house were impressed with the super hero stamps I came home with yesterday from the PO!

Amy said...

I love it!! We have a really tall bed, too. Good luck finding tall nightstands that don't cost an arm and a leg! Home Depot is our second home right now while we are finishing the basement. By the way, do you still want those curtains for your living room? I still have the picture! :)

kacole said...

I love, LOVE this. It is so pretty. What a clever idea! I will have to add this to my notebook of super clever ideas!!

And thanks for stopping by...we have a green (wallpapered) bathroom. I am just hoping that in a couple of years the hubs will be okay with re-doing that too! I really HATE wallpaper!

Beaver said...

I hate wallpaper, too! It was an included upgrade when we were building our house and when we asked if we could just have the rooms painted instead of papered, they actually gave us a CREDIT! I would rather learn some fancy painting method any day over wall papering! And I think I'm equally challenged in both areas!