Friday, April 13, 2007

A Beautiful Spring Break

This is one of several posts "in progress" . . . Kind of like lots of things around here . . . So, instead of painting my bathroom, taping the hallway for paint prep, sewing curtains for the study or reorganizing my closet so I can move my sewing boxes onto those shelves, I'll sit here and complete this unfinished task . . . :-) Besides, Heidi just dragged (or is it drug?) me around the mile-block, so I need to sit for a moment.

Dad took a few days off during Spring Break (yes, a month ago) and we drove to Grandma's for an extended weekend visit. Being in Texas, you never can tell what kind of weather you'll get mid-March. (Actually, I think there are lots of places around the US saying that even about mid-April right now. What's with snow on Easter?) Anyhow, our Spring Break week turned out with absolutely perfect "spring break" weather. A perfect time to be off in the country for a few days to relax.

I grew up in my "little bitty home town" for 22 years (3 1/2 of those in college, but that was still where I called "home"). I never noticed how different it was there until we had a few kids, though. When I go on a trip, I like to leave my house as perfectly as possible so that when I return I can only bring the mess of unpacking in to deal with. It pushes the edges of my sanity at times, but I'm really a happier mom for it. Some might argue. Needless to say, sometimes by the time I'm out the door all is not well in the van for the first hour or so. This is especially difficult when I have to pack and load by myself. I remember one particular time after a hectic and stressful packing and driving by myself with the kids, I drove past the city limit sign heading into Grandma's town. I don't remember the specifics of the packing or the driving, but I do remember the feeling that came over me as we drove past that sign into town. We had sometimes joked about this, but it was SO true that day and really has been ever since.

Isn't that crazy? (that sanity thing again . . .) Seriously, though. Time feels slower at Grandma's house. We enjoy our visits to the "country". And the kids are finally getting big enough to not worry as much when they are outside playing. Grandma's house sits about 50 yards from the spring-fed tank my Papa had built when I was a kid. Makes it nice for all-day fishing, but it's a little worrisome when you have small kids running around.

So, here are some fishing pictures:

And some other pictures from the week. No pics with Poppa this time . . .


Cool Slideshows

1 comment:

Amy Witt said...

I suffer from a bad case of "Grandmother Envy" and it has just reared its ugly head. Enjoy every moment. GO without your house clean, Go just for the weekend, Take a day off of school and go. Don't worry if you forget something, they really didn't need it anyway. Enjoy the blessing like you already do.
Some of my fondest memories of times at my grandparents just having time to be.

Miss you tons..we need to do lunch!!