We started with painting. Ok, I started with painting. I wanted to get that mess out of the way while the floors were still "old". However, floor work began even while painting continued. Laundry room tile first (good practice area, since it would always be covered with those machines!). Kids' bathroom tile came next. Painting was still ongoing.
As the kids' bath was finishing up, the master bath was begun. However, somewhere in all that, Dad starting ripping all the carpet out of the house. The whole house. Everywhere but the bedrooms that were going to be replaced. No carpet. Just concrete. Felt like a camp cabin. It was lovely. So, the kids' bath was completed and the master bath was begun. However, somewhere in there, new baseboards had to be painted, cut and installed in the laundry and kid bath. Ok, so the master bath is underway. It was a long project. We got a little creative. It was complicated.
The carpet guys were coming soon, so we had to get the master bath tiled, grouted and sealed before they came. Then came the new carpet. However, before the carpet came, we had actually halfway begun the kitchen tile because all the furniture was out of the kitchen when the new carpet was installed. Oh, and I was still doing some painting, because when the carpet guys got there that day I had doors out that I was putting another coat on. Did I mention I began repainting all the doors and door mouldings? Oh, and we got Little Buddy's room repainted just before the carpet guys came, too, because we wanted to get rid of the one red wall he had in there. The kids helped with that one. Lots of touch up is still needed in there...
Ok, so carpet was in, kitchen was still in progress, new baseboards were continuing to be installed in all the newly tiled areas. We finally finished the kitchen and got all the furniture back in there, however, we didn't seal it for a while because we had a problem with the grout that got stuck in the little divots in the tiles. I wanted to clean out the divots, but we had to let it cure for a week before we could put the stripping cleaner on the tiles/grout. Well, after a few weeks...we gave up cleaning out the divots and just sealed it. The look grew on me and no one else seemed to notice that it wasn't supposed to be that way.
In the mean time, we had begun the Pergo in the family room. We got all the way down the kids' hallway and felt fairly finished. Started getting the baseboards in the family room, entry and hallway. Oh, and in the kitchen that had finally gotten sealed. We left the "best" for last. "Happy Father's Day", Dad wanted to get it finished. I told him he couldn't work on Father's Day, but he was obsessed with it. However, I had to make it difficult because we still hadn't repainted the last room, the Study. That was where we had put most of the junk from other rooms and it was still a complete disaster. I made him so mad, because I told him we HAD to repaint that room before doing the floor. So, we did and 24 hours later, the paint and floors in that room were complete.
By the end of that week, we had most of the baseboard work done and were just left with a long list of touch up areas to complete. We still have a list. The list will be in effect for a while. We're tired. From Mother's Day to Father's Day, we worked almost non-stop. We went to New York for a few days after Father's Day and work hasn't been the same since. So, here's my other dilemma with writing and posting pictures of the remodel. We're not really done! However, if I don't go ahead and post some of this, it will never happen. And you'll never see how proud we are of ourselves for what we learned and accomplished this summer! I guess it's kind of like making those dresses. They're far from perfect, but what a feeling of accomplishment knowing we did it ourselves! We're ready to go build a new house somewhere... NOT!
Well, after all that rambling, here are the first pictures of something I know we did, but I don't have listed above because I don't know where it came in the process! I know we did it, but WHEN did we do it?? Don't know.
| Click to play Make your own Smilebox |

.jpg)

1 comment:
I think you put up the crown moulding after you painted the room! ; )
Post a Comment