Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Bloodshot??

So, we were told Little Girl's eyes would be bloodshot for a week or so after the surgery. I'd like to rephrase those words. Let's make that "shot (full of) blood". Yes, I was prepared for "bloodshot", but this was a whole different level according to my expectations.

Here's a picture the evening after the surgery.

Here's a picture the day AFTER surgery - she looks much more lively...

Today, a week after surgery, I would definitely say her eyes are "very bloodshot".

At her post-op yesterday, the doctor said her eyes looked "appropriately red". And I could tell a difference in the alignment as he went through the normal routine of examining her eyes. The Hypertropia is definitely gone. (That's the thing where he said "this was the surgery to have if you're going to have eye surgery" because "this is a one-time-fix surgery".)


He said she looked great. We go back in another month to continue to check her nearsightedness, but he is very optimistic that she will have such a low prescription that he would prefer to keep her out of glasses a while longer since she's still so young. We'll confirm that at the end of May. It's weird seeing her out of glasses and not being upset that we can't find them anywhere... :-)

Now, as a type-A mom, I am still not sure I see "perfection" in her Strabismus issue. I saw her right eye turn in slightly a few times yesterday. Of course, it was AFTER her post-op appointment... Maybe it's just me. As far as I can tell (and the doctor said so yesterday), the reflection in both eyes is looking symmetrical. It's pretty amazing how they can tell exactly how to move those little eye muscles 3 little millimeters and know they've actually done such an incremental movement successfully.

2 comments:

Grandpa said...

She certainly looks happy without glasses!

Within Connolly's Kingdom said...

I have to tell you that I am a friend of Jennifer's - and found yoru link on her blog - my four year old has glasses for far-sightedness and has had them since she was almost 3. I LOVE YOUR ENTRIES - and have read EVERY blog pertaining to this - I consider you a BLESSING and want to thank you for your details and raw feelings...I am RIGHT THERE WITH YOU on feeling uneasy - yet praying for grace...:)