Bear's grade level at school went on a 3 day field trip to Sky Ranch back in March. I knew I had to go with her, but quite honestly, I was dreading the whole experience. I'm not much for roughing it - no matter if we did sleep indoors and have at least 3 showers between 15 of us in the cabin. That's still roughing it to me. Of course, I started out the trip in a perfect way - I left all my bedding and towels sitting by the front door at home. Lovely. I did have my pillow, thank goodness. And I snagged one of Bear's sheets (she had two) and one of the teachers had an extra that I borrowed as well (how embarrassing...) Thank goodness I made Bear pack all her own stuff in her own bag! Oh, and my hairdryer was in the bag with the bedding. Thank goodness my cap wasn't! I'm telling you, I'm NOT a roughing it kind of gal.
Bear had to follow directions (moving items around an area) as given by a classmate who had to figure out what the directions were only by non-verbal communication from the rest of the group. (I guess that's actually quite difficult to verbalize...) It was quite interesting...
It rained some while we were there, so this picture of Bear on our cabin porch facing the lake doesn't look as wonderful as it really was.
They sat in outdoor classroom areas and went on expeditions. Mom even went on a trail ride. In doing that, though, I missed one of their classes that I would have LOVED to be in - Orienteering. Maps and compasses and figuring out directions - how cool!! I got back just when they were finishing up and writing down their adventure.
Bear is looking for evidence that this pond is alive and well. (And it was!)

(Bear got her braces off a few weeks after camp!)

Sunrise our last morning at camp.
So, as much as I had dreaded the whole trip, it greatly exceeded my expectations. It was very educational. Very relaxing. And very exhausting.
.jpg)

3 comments:
I worked as a counselor at Sky Ranch for 2 summers and loved it! Glad you were able to 'rough it' for awhile. :)
I didn't know you were so organized!
The thought of you "roughing it" makes me smile. ~Sabrina
Post a Comment