Friday, May 22, 2009

Brave Little Girl

What with Bit and Bear's encouragement, Poppa's offering to do the piercing with some of his power tools and Little Buddy just being himself, it's a wonder Little Girl went through with it. But, true to her determined little self, she wasn't about to go home on her birthday sans earrings in her little ears. We even had to go to TWO places because they had run out of gloves at the first place we went to. A sign of the times...

Such a serious and somber crew as they wait for the girl to set up her ear piercing station. Poppa is on the other side of the store window. Check out Little Buddy's mischevious look... I think I had to have him move...

The first prick.
"Are they really done? Are my ears really, really pierced??!"
Yippee!!!!

When I was 8 years old - several decade ago - I wanted to get my ears pierced. I didn't have enough money and my parents said I would have to pay for it myself if I wanted to go and poke holes in my perfectly good ears. My mom didn't have her ears pierced so why should I... I was $5 short of having enough birthday money. As far as I remember I needed something like $10 or so to go over to the furniture store downtown and let Betty (it was Betty, wasn't it?) poke those holes in my perfectly good ears. I remember being in the bank where my mom worked on my birthday and Keith Welsh came in. He was the sweetest man and he always called me "Re-Joyce". He heard it was my birthday and he gave me a WHOLE FIVE DOLLARS. I believe we went straight down to the furniture store and I sat up on that stool so Betty could take the MASSIVE gun and shoot those sharp posts into my perfectly good ears. As I recall - it HURT! And I was so glad.

Ear piercing has changed a lot over the last 30+ years. So much so, they had to add ANOTHER $30 to the price tag!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

The furniture store???? I think that is ANOTHER sign of the times :)