Keep forgetting what these little guys are called, but they are GREAT in the baskets on the back porch. They're supposed to like morning sun, but I think it's just a bit too hot for them. The one that gets the most sun keeps needing a shade break.

The rose bushes we planted out front are starting to get busy with blooms. I was looking forward to having them planted for us, but for some reason we didn't get rose bushes like most of the other houses built before ours.


We finally gave up on our begonias out front and planted some periwinkles and blue bells. Bunnies aren't supposed to like these. (They seem to like begonias and impatiens...) So far, so good on these new blooms. We stuck some dark and light potato vines out there with them and they're going to town vining away.
This is a fun little guy. He has a strange name, so I can never remember it right. He always looks like he needs water, but he just has droopy blooms. Supposed to like shade, so he's on the front porch. I've already had to move him so he can get a little more sun, though.
We have pink and purple bougainvillea out back. Hoping they start trailing over the walls by the stairs soon. They had some trouble getting going and hanging on through some rough winds, but their roots are digging in now to hold them down.
Took a while for the Gardenia to finally open up it's blooms. When we planted it, there were a bunch of buds that looked ready to go, but they just sat there. After two Miracid waterings (two months!), we finally saw our first bloom and it's been going ever since.
You see, there's this story I heard once about a Plumeria...
Once upon a time, after ten years of marriage, a couple went to Hawaii. They managed to smuggle, I mean, bring back a root of a Plumeria plant. The wife coddled and cared for the root until it started putting forth beautiful leaves. The new plant was sheltered in the winter and given a special place in the morning sun on the back patio. She gazed longingly at her mother-in-law's beautiful flowering Plumeria in Houston. A couple of years passed. Then, one day, there was a BOY with a bat. End of story. (yes, the boy did live...)


.jpg)

5 comments:
I have a plumeria that my cousin near Houston gave me. It has begun growing vigorously but I didn't know that it might bloom!
I'm so jealous! I can't manage to make anything grow. I've killed three front porch plants already, and my new container garden in the back is in very bad shape. :(
Beautiful blooms! And I totally know the feeling, itching to landscape but not sure yet where to put it. I think those little blue flowers look like blue flax.
Blue Daze - that's that little blue flower.
Oh, and that reminds me, it did really good on the front porch in planters once upon a time...
We have Blue Daze in our front flowerbeds, and it has done great! (Thankfully, the deer don't like it!) In fact, we lost some of them last year in the winter, but the majority all came back this year! (One of the few blessings of Houston winters! ;) )
Post a Comment