Friday, May 01, 2009

Where IS that Hummingbird feeder??

As Little Girl was getting the bikes out this morning for their ride to school, she ran back in the house frantic. There was a Hummingbird in the garage. I knew she had to be mistaken. How in the WORLD would a Hummingbird get into our garage? Sure enough, there it was beating its head against one of the garage windows trying desperately to get out. Of course, the first thing I did was run back in the house for my camera...

It was such a cute little thing, but I was somewhat frightened of it. It was so fast! I tried to coax it toward the door with a broom handle. I decided it was much more frightened of me than I was of it. It finally landed on the window and looked like it had given up on life. (The shot below is not during what it thought to be its final moments... just one of its rest stops...)

When it finally stopped moving for quite a bit, it was laying on the window with its wings all spread out. Like it had just run a marathon and it wasn't going to be able to move for an hour at least. It looked absolutely pitiful. I couldn't figure out how to get it out without touching it.

I looked around and found two plastic pots from something we had recently planted. I edged up to the window and situated the two pots below and above the bird to trap it. I thought for sure it would try to fly off, but it continued to lay there. I closed the two pots as much as I could and the bird finally flapped its wings into the space between the pots. I rushed over to the door and opened the pots to let the bird out. I barely saw it, it was flying so quickly AWAY from its prison.

Hopefully none of my neighbors saw me out in my PJs with hair flying everywhere...

Now to find that Hummingbird feeder recipe so I can get this new feeder out that we bought last week!

3 comments:

Grandpa said...

Seems like I have read that hummingbirds have to eat almost constantly to maintain their high energy level. Your little friend was probably about to run out of energy from being trapped inside.

Enjoying Life Together said...

I'm sure that hummingbird told all his hummingbird friends about the crazy lady with windblown hair in her pjs! :)

Anonymous said...

Call/email my mom for a recipe. WS.